Metro Seeking Members for New Advisory Committee
Metro will be hosting an information session on Thursday, Nov. 5, 6-7 p.m., regarding the newly created Public Safety Advisory Committee. Click here to apply to be part of this committee.
The PSAC will work with Metro’s System Security and Law Enforcement, Office of Civil Rights & Inclusion, Office for Equity and Race and the Executive Officer for Customer Experience in developing a community-based approach to public safety on the transit system. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Developing a mission and values statement for transit policing.
- Developing a transit ambassador program that provides staff presence at Metro facilities and on Metro vehicles.
- Identifying alternatives to armed law enforcement response to nonviolent crimes and code of conduct violations.
- Enhancing greater community stewardship of transit spaces.
- The Universal Blue Light program proposed in Metro’s June 2018 ridership initiatives.
- Education about and expansion of Metro fare discount programs.
- Outreach and services for unhoused individuals.
- Provide input on the new scope of services, budget and other provisions of the multiagency police contract renewal.
- Review Metro’s Customer Code of Conduct.
- A shift of resources from armed law enforcement to the above strategies.